Sunday, January 13, 2013

Our Birth Story

Wednesday January 9th 2:30pm: our weekly appointment. I was 39 and 5, praying for at least a little bit of progress! I didn't know if I could hold off another induction. No progress except for a little more effacement. Sour asked the all important question about Luke's size and about going over our due date. Well the truth came out that if I were to go till next Wednesday (our next weekly appointment) that I might have to get induced anyway and that Luke might be at a size that I couldn't push him out. I was still was against using pitocin at this point. Dr. Kinder said he really thought I needed to go ahead and have this baby. He said he he thought I was enough effaced and Luke definitely being low enough that cytotec would work and hopefully that's all we would have to use. After Matthew and I asked a bajillion questions and we were left alone to talk and pray, we decided to go in at midnight to start the process of having Luke.

Midnight: We go in to go ahead get labs and and IV (my first ever) and get settled in. I get on the fetal heart monitor and realize that I have been contracting every 5-6 minutes without knowing.

4am Thursday January 10th: nurse comes in and places Cytotec. I have not dilated on my own and my contractions stayed from 5-6 minutes apart.

Time from 4-7:45ish am: contraction get intense!!! They go to about every 1-2 minutes. They even have to give me a bolus of fluids to slow the contractions down. Because the cytotec was a little over effective. Even though I thought I had ruined it because I got up to pee after it was placed (I didn't know I wasn't supposed to) and they had only placed half of a cytotec anyway.

7:45ish: Dr. Kinder comes in to check me and break my water. I am about a 3-4 and fully effaced.

7:45-1100am: My contractions are consistently less than a minute apart. And Super strong. Somewhere along the way I asked if we could predict how much longer I had because I didn't know if could make it without medicine. They check and I was still just a 4. So Dr. Kinder ordered some staydol (which I won't take again) instead of a pain medicine. So I get some sleep in between contractions but wake up in severe pain! I move like crazy all over the bed trying to deal with the pain. I constantly ask what time it is because the staydol has me so confused. I go from a 5-10 in about 30 minutes. My doctor walks in panting because he had sprinted across the parking lot from his office. And it was time to push. I only had to push for 20 minutes or so. And it was hard (he was 10lbs).

1126: The minute he was born a feeling of pure joy came over me! One is the sweetest moments and will be one of the sweetest memories, will be that the doctor just placed him on my chest and I was able to suction him and clean him off and warm him up. He never had to go to the warmer. I was able to breast feed with in 30 minutes of birth. It was such an amazing experience to be able to love on him so quickly. It really is such a miracle from God, that you go from that much pain to pure euphoria of bringing such a beautiful piece of life into this world.


  1. Wow! You are a very strong woman to have him without a epidural! Congrats! He is a beautiful little man :)

    1. Hahaha! Thank you! I am still trying to decide if I would do it again! But of course I really have blocked out most of the pain.

  2. Birth Stories always so special & unique. Congratulations on your BaBy